Preparing Your HVAC System For Snowstorms
Snowmageddon's Coming: Is Your Furnace Ready?
It won’t be long before Snowmaggedon strikes again, covering your home in a blanket of snow and ice. Though it might look pretty, winter weather can wreak havoc on your homes HVAC systems. But, with a few preventative steps, you can keep your heating system operating at peak efficiency. Here’s what you need to do:
Do These Yourself:
- Clear any vents and exhaust pipes of ice, snow, or debris before the blizzard strikes
- Remove any snow or ice from air conditioning units or outdoor heat pumps
- Clean your backyard of debris and dirt prior to the storm. You should also tie down any objects that can be blown about to prevent damage to your HVAC units.
- Heat or cool your home as much as you can prior to the storm. This will put a lot less strain on your furnace.
Use a Professional:
- Have someone check the integrity of your roof to make sure it can hold up under the weight of accumulating snow and ice.
- Contact Central Oregon to elevate your heat pump or ac unit to protect it from flooding
- Get a furnace check-up to ensure your system can handle the storm
If you have any questions about preparing for extreme weather, please give Central Oregon Heating, Cooling & Plumbing a call. We’re here to help.